Monday, February 21, 2011

My experience playing Cityville


After playing Cityville, Zynga's latest installment of mindless and endless games, for a couple of weeks it became apparent to me that there wasn't a goal or purpose to playing the game. A few clicks here and a couple clicks there, the clicks start adding up to hundreds and even thousands of clicks depending on your addiction to the game. I soon grew tired of playing the game, there wasn't anything new or refreshing to the game. This isn't a new realization for me, as I did play the Vampire and Mafia Wars games in the past. If you want my two cents, don't ever play a Zynga game. At the end, you'd wish you had spent that time talking to a telemarketer.

If you haven't played anything like this and don't trust your self-restraint, this wiki how link, http://www.wikihow.com/Play-CityVille , will give you a pretty good idea of the gameplay.

I think the biggest draw to the game for millions of people is that is free and easily accessible through facebook.  Checking the website, http://www.appdata.com/, gives you a pretty good idea that this business/game model is working very well for Zynga. With Cityville sitting on top of the list with 95,240,263 monthly active users, followed by Farmwille another one of Zynga's games with 51 million monthly active users. Zynga owns 5 out of the top 10 on the App Leaderboard.

I'm curious when/if the masses will ever want games with a bit more substance than just clicking mindlessly, until they can build the next best business/house for their virtual city. I played Cityville for a while, getting up to level 34 but began asking myself what I could've done with all that time I wasted clicking on pixels of houses and crops.

I stopped playing and blocked the app after a week, but then a friend convinced me to come back because they needed me to accept a position in one of their community buildings. Well to my surprise, when I came back everything was just as I left it, even though I had gotten rid of the app. This is a little trick Zynga has up their sleeve, because once you leave many other games on Facebook the game data is deleted.

To assure myself I would never play again, I cleared my city.


Tada! I'm free. As addicting as this game is, the easiest route to take to stop playing is to demolish your city, then block the app on facebook so you can see notifications. Well, I figured since I had cleared my city I might aswell have a little fun with the open space...hahaha


Whats the Point? I don't know, and I'd be willing to bet that Zynga doesn't have a good answer to that either (other than to make Zynga tons of mulah). So for all 95 million Cityville users out there, why don't you figure out if there's something better to do with your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment